Thursday, July 29, 2010


And thus my journey begins. I arrived in Manila late Tuesday evening after a three hour flight from Seoul, South Korea and after being on one of the longest flights known unto man. After the thirteen hours from Atlanta to Seoul I was exhausted, in need of food, and had terribly swollen ankles. After searching through the most enormous airport I have ever seen (which had a subway system in it) I finally found a money exchange counter and got some Korean money and some Korean nourishment. It was delicious! (this pic is for you Tucky! J) Being a holistic nut and and studying to be an herbalist I have brought multiple herbs and essential oils to use during my stay. And so once I was situated in my hotel I began rigorously applying lavender to my ankles, thyme to the toilet seat, and inhaling lavender and geranium to help me with jet lag and sleep.

Wednesday I mostly tried to stay awake and was constantly inhaling peppermint and eucalyptus and applying grapefruit to my neck. It must have worked wonders, because I managed to stay awake until 10pm. At which point I proceeded to try and sleep. Sleep can be a beautiful thing when peaceful and intent. Or it can be a trial; a constant struggle to be or at least appear to be at rest. For when the body is not able it is not so much a refreshing experience as it is exhausting and work. Making yourself enter into a peaceable slumber is not possible. You can be uneasy or awake and yet asleep. Waking yourself up because it is not the correct time to sleep and then making yourself return to the place in which your body is rebelling is so very difficult and in the end gives you not the intended result. Hopefully at the next time when I should be sleeping my body will be so exhausted that it will finally oblige me in my endeavour. I feel as though I have had three or five naps over the past 72 hours.

I will be leaving shortly to get on a plane yet again, which will take me on an hour flight to Tuguegarao and there will I get an hour ride to my final destination: Tabuk!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

It takes me about 10-12 days to adjust fully the the time change. You'll make it, it just takes time.
Until then, 3AM is a wonderful time to be awake :)
Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

It's weird. I was going to bed last night and I knew that you were getting up...I woke up and knew that you were going to bed! This will be interesting! xoxo, meg