Friday, July 30, 2010

My first outreach day!



Today we went to a local tribal village about 45 minutes away and did our outreach program. Which we go and do every Friday. Seeing four different villages a month. We go and give the woman a informative lecture and then proceed to do prenatal checkups, give the women prenatal vitamins, and pray with them. It is very hard to see so many woman with young children (some of which had no clothes on) in such hard circumstances. Many of the children were crying while we were there (this is mostly due to our white skin). I never thought of myself as being scary looking, but apparently I can be (next time we go maybe I will brush my hair first!) The drive there and back is positively gorgeous. There are so many rice fields which are beautifully engineered. They just harvested a few weeks ago and so they are pretty barren, but some parts they have already planted again. And so every so often you see some spots of sprouted rice, and it is the most vibrant green and reminds one of wheat grass. Once back to the maternity center we had lunch and proceeded to our afternoon of rest. Which has been quite a lovely thing. I am getting over the jet lag, but I'm not quite there yet!

2 comments:

Olivia said...

That is so exiting Hannah!
Did you drive in a car?

Annie said...

yes, it was a 45 min drive to the tribal village. Not 45 min. distance like you would think in the states. No this is over very bumpy and winedy terrain and at slow speeds. So the distance isn't that far from the maternity center.